Saturday, April 18, 2009

I need a new laptop...

I fear the blue screen. So I did some online laptop window shopping and I can't decide between the Apple Macbook and the Sony Vaio FW Series. I'm sure your response is Macbook, duh!! And at first, my mind was so set on it too, but after I did some research on some other brands (I shouldn't have gone looking elsewhere in the first place), I found the Sony Vaio FW Series, which looks pretty sick too. I'm being a bit wishful looking at laptops when I don't even know for sure where I'm working this summer and especially when I'm so in debt to my parents after studying abroad this semester, but... I desperately need a new laptop. This shit is driving me crazy. It's either a new laptop or a new battery for this crap, financially, a new battery is the wiser choice... but I want a new laptop.

Apple Macbook:


2.0GHz

  • Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 2GB DDR3 Memory
  • 160GB hard drive1
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
  • Standard keyboard
  • Aluminum unibody
  • Ships: Within 24hrs
  • Free Shipping
  • $1,299.00
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE3MzM

Sony Vaio FW Series:

Performance
  • 2.00Ghz (T6400) - 2.93Ghz (T9800) Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor
  • Available Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology
  • 1066Mhz-800MHz Front Side Bus Speed
  • Up to 6MB L2 Cache
Memory and Storage
  • Up to 500GB HDD available or up to 128GB SSD available
  • Up to 8GB DDR2 SDRAM
Power
  • Estimated Battery Life: Up to 5.5 hours (standard capacity battery)
  • Up to 8 hours (large capacity battery)
  • Power Requirements: 150W + 10%
Weight & Measurements
  • 6.47 lbs. -7.0 lbs (with standard battery)
  • 15.1"(W) x 1.14 - 1.46"(H) x 10.3"(D)
Starting at $839.99

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644570896&parentCategoryId=16154

The Sony Vaio is heavier... but has a larger screen. It also plays Blu-ray Discs, not that I own any of those anyways. It's more of an entertainment laptop, not that it really matters. Even if I bought it at the starting price, all the specs would be the same as the macbook and I would be saving $459.01 (without tax) or I could pay a little more and upgrade some things like memory and whatnot. Both companies offer student discounts. But with the Apple, I'm not as likely or even not at all gonna get any viruses and I know that even though I'm paying almost $500 more for the Macbook that I'm gonna get my money's worth and it'll be a better investment in the long run. First, I gotta make some money to afford a laptop.

No comments: