Sunday, April 5, 2009

Chasing Harry Winston

(Love the British cover much more than the furry shoe on the American version... yuck. It creeps me out a little actually.)

After reading The Devil Wears Prada, I was a bit discouraged to read Lauren Weisberger's other books. Even though I thought it was a good book in the end, it was a bit of a struggle getting through the slow, repetitive middle. But before I got on the train to Amsterdam, in a hurry and out of impulse, I bought Chasing Harry Winston (choosing it over Slumdog Millionaire, which I didn't even know was a book actually). I was in the mood for an easy read, a funny chick lit, rather than something more serious as Slumdog Millionaire. And that's exactly what I got.

It was a very easy read and a lot faster than The Devil Wears Prada. It was nothing amazing and not much different from your usual mindless, guilty pleasure chick lit. But I enjoyed it. I would say that I like it more than The Devil Wears Prada. There were some good surprises, but nothing too jaw-dropping yet I could not put down the book. I wanted to
go back to my room to read rather than explore Amsterdam... and do other stuff.

I don't want to give anything away so I would describe the book as being very "Sex and the City." There is a reference to the book Something Borrowed, which I LOVED, because I LOVE that book hehe. It was a feel good book, and in the end, I couldn't stop smiling from the friendship of the 3 main characters. The only thing I didn't like about the book was that it was too fast (ugh this one was too fast and The Devil Wears Prada was too slow... I'll never win) or maybe it was even too short. I feel like there wasn't much substance or that BIG turning point.
It was just basically a year long story of these 3 best friends and the changes they each undergo, and she doesn't go much in depth when I want more. But overall, it has left a good enough impression on me that I'm searching to find her other book, Everyone Worth Knowing, here in Paris. I might have to desperately resort to ordering it from amazon.fr. And plus, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the UK cover for that book even more!

This makes book numero 3 out of 15 that I've made as a goal this year. I'm not sure how many books a year I usually read so I just decided on 15, as like a starter.

No comments: