Friday, August 7, 2009

The Reader

LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!! I didn't know the movie was originally a book until I saw it at Borders and I kind of wish I read it before watching the movie, because I really believe that I would've loved the movie as well, which is rare since they tend to butcher those movies that are based off of books, because you know, nothing can compare to words in a book. But I guess I'll never really know now, will I?

The book follows the movie almost perfectly, dialogue basically word for word (as translated at least, from German). There are some scenes that weren't in the movie, but they weren't that important or significant to the story line so it was okay to take them out. I applaud the director in this movie... or whoever made these executive decisions (well I mean the directing of the movie was great too). And what I love most about this book is the way that it's written, as a stream of consciousness from the narrator, Michael, which is also what makes it so easy to read, and it's only like 200 pages. So read it!! I highly recommend it and watch the movie as well. I loved both the movie and book!!

(And I just realized... Ralph Fiennes, who plays the older Michael in the movie, is also... Lord Voldemort!! I can totally see it now... I can't believe I didn't notice it before!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah I want to read it now! Let me borrow, please. :) Do you have Lovely Bones too? I want to read that too before I watch the movie. I watched the trailer, and it was intriguing.